tim

tim wrote in
89.191:

"CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert" wrote in
:

Jungle Jim wrote:
We are buikding a new home - ranch w/basement, and I am
interested in (either tasking the electrician or doing it
myself) taking this opportunity to wire the house for network
drops, audio, etc. I will want a closet with a patch panel for
maximum flexibility and home runs from each room in the house.
I do know that I will want 2 cat-5 cables for each room
(network and phone), and RG-6 coax for tv cable. There are
other hings I will want to do at a later time, but for now I
don't want to vet in too deeply into other things such as
security cameras, etc.

if you've got the walls open, nothing beats conduit. right now

it
looks like everything can be done on cat5/6, but what happens

when
you need cat8a, or fiber, or whatever. an empty conduit, or any
conduit, with a pull string is infinitely preferable to trying to
restring something else after the walls are closed up.

one more point. while you have the walls open don't stop at only
one drop per room. drops on opposite side of the bedrooms, living
rooms, etc. give a lot more flexibility in arranging the room than
having to run 20ft of cable around the baseboard because the drop
isn't close to where the furniture needs it to be.

as far as books go, just wander around the benden wire website and
the blackbox website. one would be surprised at what can be
learned that way.