Bob S.

Amamba wrote:
Hi,

My lawn tractor (Ariens with 15HP Briggs & Stratton gasoline engine)ran
out of fuel two weeks ago and immediately it wouldn't start. It was
working very well until that. I refueled it within 30 min but was
unable to start it. It does start when I spray some starting spray into
air filter duct, but then it dies right away.

In the last two weeks I checked the fuel pump (works, spews fuel when I
crank the engine), changed spark plug, took apart the carburetor as
much as I could and sprayed everything inside it with carb cleaner
spray. The choke and throttle appear to move freely, the carburetor
bowl is about 1/2 full of gasoline, the passage from bowl into
carburetor is clear. I also sprayed cleaning spray into all little
holes and orifices that I saw inside carburetor. Nevertheless, it won't
start.

When I put my hand over exhaust and intake holes in the air filter
mounting bracket, I can feel the air move, so there seems to be the
right action to suck the fuel mixture in.

So, what else could it be ? At this point, I assume that there's either
a blockage somewhere inside the carburetor body, that I was unable to
find, or the engine valve may be stuck in closed position (although I
can start it by spraying starting spray into the air filter duct, does
it deliver the mix inside the engine bypassing the valve ?)

How hard is it to open the valve up and check for blockage ? Do I need
any special tools or skills ?

Sorry for a lengthy message. Hope someone can help !

Make sure the vent hole in your gas cap is open.