Harvey Van Sickle

On 07 Aug 2005, Mick wrote

If a cheque I paid someone for goods was banked, on a Saturday
morning in one of the main name banks in the UK, when should it
have cleared by enabling the goods to be sent?

I am trying to find why the goods have not been received,

AIUI, the usual system is that it would be logged in to their account
by the bank on Monday (the first available banking day); travel
overnight to the Bankers' Clearing House and be dealt with on Tuesday;
be sent for clearance to your bank on Wednesday; and fully confirmed
by his bank as not having bounced on Thursday.

(That is, if your bank had bounced the cheque, the BCH would have been
notified by the Wednesday night transfer, and the bounce would have
been registered by his bank on Thursday.)

--
Cheers,
Harvey