udarrell

Banty wrote:

In article , B-Hate-Me says...

wrote in message

Maybe, but they cost a lot less, with no ducts or concrete pads or
plumbing
or special electrical wiring, and low-cost Chinese and Korean labor, vs
local HVAC criminals. At $69 for 5340 Btu/h at 10.2 EER (Daewoo), a 3-ton
system is $69x36K/5340 = $465.17. And if one breaks, the rest keep
working.

The downside to window shakers-

1) Security...Your home is easily accessed if the burglar simply removes the
unit.

You can put locks on the windows so they can't raise them. With locks,
it wouldn't be easy to get one out without making a lot of racket.

2) Noise...Why do you think they are called "window shakers"?

I bought a Whirlpool Quiet Partner Series; it is very quite. It is in
the window of the living room where I watch TV; the one I had there was
noisy and interfered with TV enjoyment!

3) Convenience...Twice a year you'll be humpin' those suckers in and out.

My two are each 6000-Btu/hr or less; easy to install; some leave the
bigger units in the window the year round.

4) Money...I don't make any money from window shakers.

I agree with you on the money point.
I also love to see and feel the performance of a central system that is
really delivering to its rated Btu/hr specs.

How about if they're mounted in the wall?
Banty

- udarrell

--
Factors in the Correct Sizing of Residential Air Conditioning Systems -
Recommended Procedures for Proper Duct Sizing of Residential Air Conditioning Systems