James \Cubby\ Culbertson

Default Timbers expansion Question.

Hiya Folks,
Working now on a project that isn't quite "Fine Woodworking". Building an
adobe (heavy bricks made from mud) wall. Over the gate portion, I intend
to set two or three 6"x10"x6 ft. ponderosa pine beams horizontally. On top
of these, I'll put additional adobes. Ultimately, the entire structure
excluding the wood will be stucco'ed. I intend to leave a gap on the sides
of these beams for expansion but am not entirely sure what to do for the
bricks sitting on top of it. I thought about putting a layer of asphalt
roofing material down allowing the wood to slide if you will, under the
weight of the bricks (maybe 200 lbs?) but am not sure if that will hold up
or even allow the wood to move. Would a thin sheet of plywood, masonite,
or ?? sitting on top of the beams be a better option? I'm used to allowing
for expansion with table tops, not timbers! Any help is most appreciated.
Cheers,
cc