carl mciver

"Terry" wrote in message
oups.com...
| I have a lincoln Mig welder requiring 230V 20A single phase power. I
| have a welding job to do where there is no power available. It has the
| Nema 6-50P 3 prong style plug.
|
| I have a coleman 5000W run / 6250W max generator that has a 120/240 20A
| 4 prong twist lock style receptacle Nema style L14-20R.
|
| Is this 4 prong receptacle 3 phase power? I purchased a 6-50 3 prong
| receptacle, and L14-20 plug hoping to make some sort of adapter cable
| so I could use my welder with the generator.

Not three phase. Two 110 lines (between them 220V,) a neutral, and a
ground.
L14-20 is a 125/250V 20A 3 pole (two hot legs and a neutral) 4 wire
grounding outlet, so check your breaker to see what the working rating is.
220V*20A is 4400 watts, so I think you'll be okay, just don't keep the duty
cycle high or you could overheat your generator.
Visit an RV shop to see if they have adapters right out of the box, or
they might be able to put together a pigtail for you. You do want to keep
the ground and neutral wired properly on through to the welder, since it's a
safety thing. The adapter or pigtail will do that.