Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
On 08/05/05 01:28 pm tossed the following ingredients
into the ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

A) I have never heard anyone complain about junction boxes within an
attic. It is not an NEC rule. What is the URL to the document? Where
(what page?) does the document say this.

It's the "Circuits and Wiring Information Sheet" from the City of
Bloomington, MN:

http://www.ci.bloomington.mn.us/hand...3qcircuits.pdf

Page 1, right-hand column, under heading "Junction Boxes":

"Do not install junction boxes in the attic or conceal them in walls."

B) Some boxes have cable clamps INSIDE rather than outside. You might
have run across such a box. Otherwise feel free to add the clamps.

PS: If there really aren't any clamps I would take the time to inspect
the other boxes within the house. Pull out a light and a receptacle or
two in your investigation as well.

I'll check the boxes in question. I have already found some weird
electrical stuff in this house, including a couple of instances of wires
joined by twisting copper wire around the untwisted conductors and
insulated with the cap of a "magic marker" and the whole lot taped up.

Thanks.

Perce

Greetings,

I did the unthinkable and called up the city of Bloomington, MN for
clarification. When I asked about the attic box rule the lady said
that they follow the National Electrical Code. I didn't know exactly
what she meant by that answer so I asked her if that meant they had no
rules in addition to the NEC. She said that she wasn't an inspector
and didn't know. None of the inspectors had the time to speak with me
and I was not given the option to hold. I left a voice mail and will
let you know what the inspector says when (if) he calls back.

Hope this helps,
William