Bud

CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert wrote:

I am planning on putting one of tese in my breaker panel to protect the
wiring in our bedrooms. And secondarily to protect my Son who sooner or
later is going to learn what electricity is, as we all have.

Is there anything special I need to know about wiring the Arc Fault
circuit breaker into my service panel?

Can't have a common neutral. Similar to a GFCI breaker in installation.

Arc faults can be series - like a loose connection that is arcing or
parallel - from line-to-line - like an arc between frayed wires. The
original breakers only detected one - I think parallel but not sure.
They are required to protect for both kinds at a near date. I would
suggest waiting to get the kind that protect for both kinds (may be out
now).

They trip on ground faults of 30 mA - to protect equipment/fire not
people. I am not aware of any that trip at 5 mA like a GFCI but that
could have been included. Using a GFCI outlet in addition (or instead
of) may protect your kid more.

Bud--