JohnM

mclorson wrote:
I am having trouble getting a good look at my weld pool when TIG
welding. I know I am doing something wrong, so here's my technique in
detail. I am sitting at desk height. Using a Speedglas 9002x shade
12/13 with a 2.5 mag lens. I normally wear progressive eye glasses and
this power seems to allow me to see at any angle. I usually start on
the right of a horizontal (ex. butt weld) and move the torch over to
the left as the weld progresses.The problem doing it strictly from
left to right is that the torch moves in front of me and obstructs the
view.
To compensate, I have started to align the torch travel and subsequent
weld along a gradual line from higher right to lower left. This, in
theory should give
me a good look at the entire travel of the torch. Admittedly, I put my
head in close (about 10-12 inches) to see what's happening and soon
after start, the area seems be much too bright and undefined to really
see what's happening. I also occasionally get some reflected light in
the helmet which makes it even more difficult to get a good view.
I am relatively new to TIG and didn't or don't know what to expect, but
I need to find out techniques for a good unobstructed view of things.
Could my head be too close? Torch handling? Angle of torch? Height of
table? Some things to look out for?
Thanks,
Mike, in St. Louis

I don't mean to be facetious, but is the lens darkening properly? It
sure sounds like it's not turned on or something..