Pagan

"Stuart Benoff" wrote in message
Steve,

At this point I'd be very happy with paying $3K although you're not

including new tile and coping but I agree with doing it right the first
time. How long do you expect your new plaster to last?

I have a pool slightly smaller than SteveB, 40 years old, and it cost
something less than $3,000 for plaster, roughly $1,000 for tiles, and
$1,2000 for coping. I don't remember, exactly, because I also had the whole
pool replumbed, with new skimmer and all new equipment. Anyway, my neighbor
had the fiberglass thing done years ago, and just a few months later they
had it replastered. The fiberglass coating over plaster/concrete thing is
nothing new, and it's as big a rip-off now as it's always been. Avoid it at
all costs.

Painting isn't much better, in most cases. Although some folks have painted
their pools and had good results, most end up having to either remove the
paint, or the plaster, within a few months to a few years, as this stuff
isn't designed to last more than 7 years or so.

New plaster is your best bet, along with some new tile if you can. The
coping can probably be repaired if it's not too bad off.

You might want to take a close look at your plumbing. If it's copper, or it
needs repair which requires cutting up the pool, now is the time to do it.

Pagan