SteveB

"Stuart Benoff" wrote in message
Steve,

At this point I'd be very happy with paying $3K although you're not
including new tile and coping but I agree with doing it right the first
time. How long do you expect your new plaster to last?

Stu

We had a company that has been in business for 30 years do it. He said it
lasts about twenty years depending on the way you keep up with the chemicals
in the pool, algae control, etc.

The pool was originally built in '85, so that job lasted 18 years. I think
they use a little better "stuff" now, and with the petroleum product
additives, it lasts longer than whatever they had available 25 years ago.

As with anything, check out the companies, and get competitive bids. We had
one guy over that has been in business for a long time. He had a very bad
reputation, but there is so much business out there that he still does a lot
of business. I was just lucky to have a friend who does service work for
the local hotels who put us on to this guy. One guy even put his price on
the back of a business card that had the phone number on the front changed
with a pen.

Yer spending a lot of money, and you want it to last. Do the footwork, and
you won't be sorry.

BTW, now is the time to have all the tile and coping work done. Maybe even
cool decking. I got a killer deal on the pool deck. Again, a referral from
a friend. After two years, we called the guy the other day because we had
some spots coming off. He came and fixed it THE SAME DAY and didn't want
any money. I gave him $50 anyway.

Good luck. In a short time, it's like you have a new pool.

Steve