T i m

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 21:39:39 +0100, R wrote:

It wasn't designed from a brochure. They have a CAD (Computer Aided
Design) package. I gave them the room dimensions. They 'designed' a
layout which looked fine on the computer. They printed out some nice
3D pictures of how the room would look etc. They charged us and
supplied the units for me to install. It's all modular flat-pack
stuff.

However the units would take up more space than the size of the room.
i.e. They don't fit. Since they designed it and were given accurate
room dimensions then how could it not be their fault?

The chances are very much that it *is* their fault but you may find in
the small print somewhere that they waive responsibility if *you* do
the measurements?

Whilst we were having an extension put on this house I fitted double
glazed windows. Most of the holes existed but many didn't (not built
yet) so for those I had wooden frames made up to the appropriate
sizes. I then got *their* guy in to measure all the holes / frames so
there could be no issues when I came to fit them (and this was agreed
in writing and it worked) and the builders built the openings round
the frames.

I helped a mate fit 8 dg windows and he did all the measurement's
himself (with me double checking afterwards as their consultant wanted
£500 or summat). The supplier made him sign a disclaimer saying that
if the frames didn't fit (but were correct to his dimensions) it was
his hard luck. As it turned out they were all fine (including a bay)
phew. ;-)

The only mistake I made is shopping at MFI. I won't make the same
mistake ever again.

I nearly fitted my kitchen out with MFI units (15+ years ago) using
their "Schreiber" range. I ended up going for the basic models of the
real "Schreiber" stuff (at a bit more money) because of the better CS?

For your claim to stick you may have to pay for an 'independent' guy
to come round and conform your dimensions are correct. All the best
with your claim though ..

T i m