Ned Simmons

In article 1123097631.382637.317070
@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com, knucklehead1002002
@yahoo.com says...

Using a Speedglas 9002x shade
12/13 with a 2.5 mag lens.

the area seems be much too bright and undefined to really
see what's happening. I also occasionally get some reflected light in
the helmet which makes it even more difficult to get a good view.

Have you tried a lighter shade? I wonder if what you're
interpreting as too bright is instead your eye focussing on
the arc, which you can see, as opposed to the puddle, which
is too dark. I find as my eyes age I tend to use a lighter
shade than what's recommended. I typically use a 9 or 10
shade for run of the mill stuff, from perhaps 75 to 150A,
and will switch to an 11 or 12 when welding aluminum over
200A. I've got a 7 for fine low current work, 35A. Any
shade will protect your eyes, so use what's most
comfortable.

I started TIG welding in my twenties, doing mostly
ornamental SS work for yachts, then didn't do much for 15
years or so, by which time my eyes were on the downhill
slide. I thought I had lost my touch til I adapted by using
a lighter shade and the magnifying lenses.

Ned Simmons