John

Great comments. If it helps, I can't see the entire TIG pool, only the
front/leading portion. The cup is hiding the rest. It makes a big
difference in how far the tungsten is protruding. When I started, I
let the electrode protrude quite a bit to see what I was doing.
Recently, I've been able to reduce it without causing myself trouble.
Your comment about brightness is curious. I am at my desk right now,
but I don't recall anything being particularly bright when I am TIG
welding. I keep my head in pretty close (6-12") and don't have a
problem. Unhelpful, I am sure, but maybe something to compare against.
I do have a problem with focus, though. My focal range is fairly
narrow and I have to carefully move my head along as the puddle moves
to keep everything focused. Good luck.