Calvin Henry-Cotnam

Doc ) said...

I'm in Florida working on getting post-hurricane repairs made to my house.
Replacement of the roof, drywall replacement in several rooms and full house
carpet replacement.

I've found a General Contractor who says they can do the work. They left an
agreement with me to sign before they'll begin any contact with the
Insurance company. I realize many of you aren't attornies but am hoping some
have had experience with this sort of issue and see what you think about
some points on the agreement - under each I'll include any questions
concerns about the point. If you see something, by all means speak up.

[snip]

Regardless of what is pre-printed on a contract, if you do not want something
in there, you have the right to cross it out, make modifications, or add new
sections. Do so, keep them reasonable (a contract is supposed to be fair to
both sides, but that is probably why you would want changes) and initial each
of your changes.

Of course, they don't have to accept your changes, but you won't be locked
into accepting their original terms if you have only signed a modified
contract. Be up front, or be sorry.

This goes for anything in life where something has to be signed. I once
had to sign admission papers when my wife went into hospital and if you
ever read these things, you are basically giving them permission to do
any test and procedures for any possible reason that they feel is
necessary. I crossed out that section and wrote in amedments restricting
them to specifics related to the admission plus emergency procedures for
life threatening situations. I know, this could be open to interpretation,
but at least I felt better than signing a blank cheque.

The clerk reacted like I had made amendments to the Bible! Still, they had
to accept what I had done as it was not unreasonable.

--
Calvin Henry-Cotnam
- Napoleon