Art

I have a Nutone dual motor tank. It works well. They used to guarantee the
motors for life but they stopped that a few years ago. That was one reason
to use Nutone right there. It has a bag and there is no decrease in suction
as the bag fills. In fact it is so powerful no matter how full the bag is
that it is important to check the bag every few months so you don't overfill
it. It has a secondary filter to protect the motor in case you burst the
bag which happened to me when I used 3rd party bags. Nutone bags are
superior and that is all I buy now.

As far as the power head, I've tried several. I started off with a Nutone
that was obviously built by Eureka. It was narrow and noisy. I then bought
an expensive Stealth from Italy. It was quiet and well engineered but the
brushes weren't long enuf for our low nap carpet and after using it for
several years we decided it really wasn't doing a good job. Consumer
Reports rated Stealth and said it was good. We sold that head on ebay and
bought a Hoover Windtunnel head. It is basically the same head used on
highly rated windtunnel cannister vaccuums. When Consumer Reports rated
central vacs they failed to test that head and instead tested cheaper
Hoover powerheads. However whenever they test regular cannister vaccuums
the windtunnel heads are top rated. We are extremely happy with it. It is
not as elegantly designed or as quiet as the Stealth but it does a great
job.

"L M" wrote in message
I will be buying a central vacuum system in the next few
weeks. Never had one, or used one.

I have already installed the outlets, stubbed down into
the basement, but have yet to run the pipe. The outlets
are all mounted beside a 120 V outlet. I will put in at
least one of the under counter floor outlets.

I've looked at a few systems. They are all pretty much the
same, price and features. I have two large dogs and have
been told to get a system with a filter bag to keep hair
out of the motor.

Any suggestions? Brand names, features, venting, flames, etc.