Joe Gorman

Patriarch wrote:
Conan The Librarian wrote in
:

AAvK wrote:

Hey Chuck, so sorry to be so late for a reply. Been a while since
I used it so I had to get out my memory chip and plug it in.

The lever cap is old and with usual corrosion of over 100 years,
but still useable. let's say the screw in the frog has that bevel
underneath it's head, tapering to the shaft, so when the cap is
tightened down, the top inner curvature of the hole slides down
the distance of that screw's under-bevel.

I don't know if it is worn in or made to be that way, but below
that "top inner curvature of the hole" there are two side-to-side
bevels which the the screw's under-bevels will meet with perfectly.
So we have something of a whole 1/8" of movement from down
to up, of course dragging the blade with it, but for a shorter
distance distance than 1/8", which is completely mal-adjusting
the setting that I gave the blade when using the brass adjuster...

At the same time, when setting the blade for depth of cut, somehow
it is always skewing itself and a final skew setting is always to
one side or the other. I don't know if that is the result of the
frog, which stands up off the floor of the bed at the mouth (throat)
area about 3/32". I can't telll if it needs to be fettled by just
looking at it. But obviously it seats on the reciever and all
surfaces are flat....

I polished the lever cap spring and the back of the lever as smooth
as possible so both will slide instead of grip and drag, but the
blade is still coated with tacky Johnson's. After I had bought the
new Hock HCS for it, I sharpened it and coated it but it took a great
many bodily movements to get the blade adjusted properly, and then
there was ... backlash? And then the same amount of readjusting.

Yikes, I can see why you aren't fond if it. I'm wondering if the
frog screw wasn't a retrofit. Without having a plane in front of me
to look at, I don't recall any double/mating bevels on frog screws.

The part that really concerns me is where you say the frog sits
proud; it should be flush with the bed.

As for the skewing of the iron, when you are setting the plane up,
how tight do you have the lever screw?

So how much did you pay for this monstrosity? ;-)

There, I remebered you asked the question, and there are four
paragraphs of explanation. I own eight Stanley planes, the 80 scraper
and the...

LV-V-LABP.

I'd rather not say how many I've got. ;-)

Chuck Vance

Not really wanting to step on this conversation, but...

I have a #6, of early '60's vintage, which I bought from a tool dealer
who used to frequent these parts years ago, and used to put out a
monthly list to various hand plane addicts. An unused old plane,
without hassle, at a fair price, in great shape, from someone who
clearly knew what he was selling, and planned on selling more of them as
the years went on.

Yes, I paid more than eBay prices for this tool. But I didn't have to
'win' anything, play sniping games, worry about the seller, or even do
all that much homework. The tool was sent on approval, and had I not
found it to be what I needed, I was responsible to send it back.
Otherwise, a personal check was sufficient. There is a lot to be said
for that business model, and someone who is willing to make a go of
that.

I wonder what Patrick is up to these days? I've seen no email list in
some time. Maybe he still has an old address of mine.

Patriarch,
nearing 3 dozen handplanes, and still nowhere near the most addicted in
his neighborhood...

From the July list:
The August list may be some days late as I’ll be tool prowling
on the day the list is supposed to be sent.

Joe
in that neighborhood, too. But I'd have to look carefully to see how close.