RBM

Your grounds are ultimately tied back to the same location, your service
panel. You don't want to create any additional paths from the tub. It will
be grounded fine by the ground wire in your feeder. That breaker should trip
with or without a neutral connected to the load. I think it's defective. If
you bought it at HD it has a much higher chance of being defective in my
opinion
wrote in message
t...
RBM

You aren't !

On the ground rod thing. This is an older house, And without measuring
Impeadence to ground from my current service Gound connection to cold
water connection, I just added a ground rod, bonded it to service panel.
The spa is also bonded to this ground in the service panel.

on the breaker. I guess I could go buy another breaker but I would
like too test this one . I think what you might be saying is that if the
breaker was functioning correctly it should trip (GFCI trip button)
without having anything landed on the neutral lug of the breaker. The 30
I have would not trip with or without the breaker supplied neutral was
landed on neutral bus. I just assumed that is why it didn't work.

thanks.

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
news
I don't mean to sound like a smart ass but your description doesn't sound
accurate. Like I said previously, you DON'T drive ground rods to protect a
tub or the related equipment. You also don't connect the neutral from a
GFCI breaker to something it is not protecting. If it is a straight 240
volt heater, it doesn't use a neutral so you don't have one to connect. It
does however sound like you may have a defective GFCI breaker

wrote in message
t...
Imagine a hypothetical situation where you have a load center for a Spa,
wherein it contains a 2-pole 30 amp GFCI breaker (for heater) and a 20
amp 2-pole GFCI breaker. The 2-20 amp can be tripped (from a short
circuit) independently of the other, no trip bar connecting them, but
when you hit the GFCI trip button they both trip. This breaker operates
the 110v loads like the blower/light/ozanator etc. I've seen where, on
some installations, instead of having individual GFCI breakers, The 60
amp main is GFCI. In this case since there is no 220v neutral load from
the heater, should I use the neutral load from the 110v stuff to hook to
the 30 amp 220v GFCI. To be on the safe side I drove a new ground rod to
compliment the cold water ground and bonded it back to my service panel.
I know there was life and hot tubs before GFCI, I just want to get the
opinion of someone who knows.
No offense Todd H. (my smart-ass young poster) but this is not you. I
appreciate the Yellow pages advise but it wasn't really helpful