Doug Kanter

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
m...
In article , "Doug Kanter"
wrote:
"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. com...
In article , "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. com...
In article , "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
igy.com...

Greed is, of course, the most obvious explanation. Did you have
something
else
in mind?

Ya know, whenever you're asked to explore any possibility except the
one
you've chosen and carved in stone, you refuse. So, live in a narrow
world,
and have a nice day. By the way, keep your lamps trimmed and burning.
The
black helicopters are on the way.

What's the matter, Kanter, couldn't you think of any other
explanations?

Like I said... Greed is the most obvious. Were you thinking of
something
else?

What's the difference between greed, and wanting to do more business?
Are
you in a business which has a policy of not finding ways to grow?

Greed: selling more cans of beans by selling smaller cans at the same
price
per can, which is of course entirely equivalent to selling the same
amount
of
product at a higher price.

Expanding the business: selling more cans of beans by providing greater
value
(actual or perceived) through a better product, better advertising,
greater
variety of choices, etc. -- IOW, selling more product.

Note that the former case is *not* actually expanding the business; it's
merely increasing profitability.

Go find the message I just wrote to Edwin. Open your mind to other
possibilities.

If you actually have something in mind, just state it, instead of
playing
this
guessing game.

Addressing your comments about "merely increasing profitability" and
"guessing game" - here's yet another chance to entertain a new idea.

Here you go again... "Moving Target Kanter" finds the discussion not going
the
way he wanted it, and so he changes the subject *again*. You haven't
addressed
my comments at all.

The
price of transportation has gone through the roof. Whether a company runs
its own trucks, or uses common carriers, there is NO WAY they can control
the price of oil. I believe it was you who, earlier, said that if
production
costs had risen, you'd find a way to control them or decrease them.

Nope, not me.

Transportation takes an enormous bite out of profits in the grocery
industry. Exactly how would YOU deal with this, if you did not want to
raise
prices or shrink sizes?

Stick to the point, or shut up.

I am sticking to the point. You're talking about "increasing profitability".
I'm modifying that slightly - how about restoring lost profitability, which
you may need in order to remain in business. In other words, if you made 15%
profit for 10 years, and suddenly, something beyond your control causes that
to drop significantly, you either find a way to recover the money, or maybe
you go out of business.

One factor which affects the bottom line is transportation. How would you
address a factor over which you had little or no control? We're talking
about fuel costs.