Doug Miller

In article , "Doug Kanter" wrote:

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
m...

"Ranieri" uh-uh wrote in message

One time I bought a 2x4, and the damn thing was only 3.5" x1.5"!!!

But it was a real 2 x 4 before it was planed to get what is considered
straight. I buy wood at a full 1" thick, but have to plane it down to
3/4" to make it usable. I know this up front and expect to do it. It was
cut a true 1" at the sawmill though.

I thought the size diff was due to shrinkage as the wood dried. Not true?

Not true. Ed's explanation is correct; the amount of shrinkage is measurable,
but _nowhere_near_ the 25% that would be required to turn two inches into one
and a half.

--
Regards,