Wayne Cook

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 02:48:09 GMT, Ignoramus9394
wrote:

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 22:45:07 -0400, The Tagge's wrote:
Is there any way that I can rig up a phase converter such as shown below,
and attach another power source (read gas or diesel engine) to the actual
rotor, and come out with quality 3 phase eclectic power of 60 Hz?

that would be called a "generator". As far as I know, induction motors
are not suitable as generating ends. In a rotary phase converter, the
third leg is produced thanks to the magnetic field made by the utility
supplied hot leg.

Actually it is possible with some motors. It may require a short DC
pulse to start it off. My understanding is that some motors work
better than others in this application. But if you stay within the
motors rating it will work (if the motor will generate at all). One
key feature of this type of generator is that if you exceed the motors
rating it will simply stop generating.

I recently scrapped a welder/generator with this same setup in it.
They did have some extra windings wound onto the ends of the field
windings to help it start up and stabilize it but otherwise it was
just a 3 phase motor with a engine hooked to it. The welder was a
Thermadyne but it was obvious from the components in it that it was
made in Italy. In this case the touted cuts out if shorted rule seemed
to not work and there was a short in the windings caused by a short in
some internal leads of the welder.
..