~^Johnny^~

On 27 Jul 2005 19:13:57 -0700, wrote:

I've been reading deja articles for hours on separate days - but I
would like some quick advice if possible. I'll try to keep the
story short.

Moved into a condo; very old Lennox upflow heating/2-ton air
conditioning unit. 900 sq ft open space (no bedrooms/doors)

The air that comes out of the registers is _somewhat_ cold - but not
cold as I like it to be. As a result, I can only maintain the
indoors temperature at about 78, no lower. I would like to get down
to 70 if possible (outside temp 80-95).

It appears that the previous owner did not have an air filter where
the air got sucked in by the fan... so I put in a new filter. Due
to the way the unit is positioned (basically inside a closet) - I'm
not sure if having a filter is causing a problem by possibly
restricting intake of air.

There is no icing on the pipes at the outside condenser unit as I
can see. The alum fins on the condenser unit looks ok, free of
debris. I had a guy come out and fill it with a pound of R22, he
said it was low.
I did notice some improvement, I can go down to about 76 now, but
still I would like to go down further to 70. Am I asking the unit
too much?

What else can I check to narrow down the issue. From reading some
posts, how do I check evap coils (this coil is different than the
condenser right?) & condensor/coil water drain (not sure where this
is located)?

I realize that the AC guy is supposed to be doing this stuff for me,
but to make a long story short I do not get to choose who comes by
to diagnose the unit. In the event I do have to shell out money, I
would like to be informed.

Thanks for any suggestions.

With a severe shortage of refrigerant, the low side can run in a
partial vacuum. If there is a leak on the low side, air and
moisture could have been drawn in when it was running low on
refrigerant. Without fixing the leak and evacuating the system prior
to adding refrigerant, the air and moisture wreaks havoc with the
system.

You might not be able to choose which tech the contractor sends out,
but you certainly can and should choose a different contractor!

--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info