rj

It is most unusual to find Articles of Incorporation that state specific
business activities. The general AI say the "purpose" of the corporation is
to "engage in any activities or business permitted under the laws of the
United States and Florida." I've never seen Articles of Incorporation that
don't use that broad langusge.

If they are doing anything other than "roofing, siding and gutters" they
*may* be operating in violation of their Articles of Incorporation and this
may place them in some legal jeopardy. Ask the Department of State or an
attorney.

Regarding GC's doing roofing see:
http://www.state.fl.us/dbpr/os/hot_t...ase_05_148.pdf

Perhaps the fact that their Articles of Incorporation specify roofing has
something to do with getting by "easier" in Florida under the active
executive orders.

And you know their office is in Minnesota - right?

"Doc" wrote in message
ink.net...

"rj" wrote in message
. ..

Checking the Florida Department of State website (
http://www.tinyurl.com/atwbg ) I see in their Articles of Incorporation

that
their business activity should be limited to "roofing, siding and

gutters."

Hmm. I was under the impression that general contractors in Florida can do
the whole house if they have a roofers license. In fact, the insurance
company strongly urges getting a general contractor so they can handle it
all - roof, carpet, drywall. These people supposedly are a general
contractor.

Additionally, I do NOT find any listing for them as a licensed

contractor
on
the DBPR website (what is their license #???)

CGC1507721

( https://www.myfloridalicense.com/Default.asp )

The following document from myflorida.com gives some good tips (avoid
door-to-door peddlers, etc.)

http://www.myflorida.com/dbpr/dbpr/n...home_jan04.pdf

Most importantly, the contract, by law, should have the contractor's

license
number on it and you should demand a "Certificate of Insurance" from the
contractor's workman's comp and general liablity carrier. Note the

carrier
provides it to you directly upon the contractor's request to them.

Are you still seeking repairs from the '04 storms?

Yes.

By the way, for anyone reading this, I appreciate all the input.