ben

news wrote:
Steve wrote:
My mate's 16-year old son is going to do some work for us before he
starts at college. We're going to hire a skip and he's going to do a
general garage tidy-up (and believe me it needs doing )) and clear
the area behind the garage. The biggest job however, will be the
front "garden".

The previous owners got rid of the lawn (not very well, I might add),
laid visqueen, and then put on about 2 to 3 tons of pea gravel. We
want to get rid of the pea gravel, level the ground properly, lay
landscape fabric and then put down a couple of tons of 20mm Golden
Gravel.

He's a good strong lad and well up for doing the work for us (I can't
because of a back injury) but we haven't got a clue what to pay him,
and he doesn't know what to ask for because he's never done a job
like this for money before. We obviously want to pay him a fair price
for his hard graft so has anyone got any ideas as to what we should
be paying him, and should we say so much per hour or give him a lump
sum for the job?

TIA,

Steve.

@ 16 = £30 / day
@ 18 = £40 / day

sliding scale until semi skilled i.e can work unsupervised £40 - £50
/ day

imo, natch, and that's a full day - 8 til 5, you buy the chips at
dinner time :-)

hth

I'd tell you to F'off. :-)