Owain

Adrian C wrote:
ben wrote:
Thanks to all who've replied. I think we'll probably try for the £7
per hour or about £50-£60 per day mark

Yeah, and dont forget his tea breaks and dinner, goes without saying
really.

Dinner? Wish my employer fed me after 5.30pm....

Free dinner may be an inexpensive way of making sure he stays for the
full day.

Oh, check your house insurance on liability cover for persons working on
your property. There should be something in there.

As the work is going to be done under the OP's direction and the
contract is personal to the labourer, it's almost certainly a contract
of employment. That means the OP will need employer's liability
insurance, will need to provide payslips and make a return to the Inland
Revenue, and will be responsible for providing personal protective
equipment and enforcing health and safety rules in the workplace.

Owain