Mary Fisher

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
. net...

It does, but if he's worthy of his hire he should have at least the legal
minimum hourly rate for his age.

I've just looked that up, it's £3 an hour for a 16 - 17 year olf, a review
is urged but won't be applicable until October 2006 I believe.

This is disgraceful. A good lad, doing an adult's job, should have an
adult's pay. £5 an hour minimum is what I'd pay.

And I have done - to our grandsons, three years ago. And they had good meals
too. We wouldn't want to exploit anyone.

As someone else said, if you don't think he's worth that get a man in. I
think it's worth encouraging the lad - and making sure that he does a good
job. It might also be an idea to pay some of it into a savings account if he
has one, or open one for him.

It must also be borne in mind that what he's paid for this job could become
the level he'll ask others for. You wouldn't want him to be ripped off in
the future. If he does a good job it should be respected - you could suggest
a 'penalty clause' - but be fair about it.

Mary