John Cartmell

In article ,
Steve wrote:

"Steve" wrote in message
My mate's 16-year old son is going to do some work for us before he starts
at college. We're going to hire a skip and he's going to do a general
garage tidy-up (and believe me it needs doing )) and clear the area
behind the garage. The biggest job however, will be the front "garden".

The previous owners got rid of the lawn (not very well, I might add), laid
visqueen, and then put on about 2 to 3 tons of pea gravel. We want to get
rid of the pea gravel, level the ground properly, lay landscape fabric and
then put down a couple of tons of 20mm Golden Gravel.

He's a good strong lad and well up for doing the work for us (I can't
because of a back injury) but we haven't got a clue what to pay him, and
he doesn't know what to ask for because he's never done a job like this
for money before. We obviously want to pay him a fair price for his hard
graft so has anyone got any ideas as to what we should be paying him, and
should we say so much per hour or give him a lump sum for the job?

I should have said that this is in Blackburn, Lancashire, where the cost of
living is a lot less than London or the south - I know the north-south
divide does really exist )

A friend of mine* did similar work every Saturday at that age and received the
princely sum of one crown (5/- or 25p) for about 4 hours work. That too was in
Blackburn - but the cost of living may have gone up slightly since the late
60s. ;-)