Andy Dingley wrote:
On 1 Aug 2005 08:10:46 GMT, wrote:

Does anyone here actually have a Clarke stove or know
anything about them?

No, they're horrible. Like all those cheap cast iron stoves, they're
more for decoration than use (especially the smaller cheaper
potbellies). Fire them up regularly and you'll have cracking problems.

A much better deal is something built from steel rather than iron. By
and large this means recycling gas cylinders or welding from flat plate.
If you go to someone with an eye for design and a plasma cutter you can
get something much more interesting and you may even beat Machine Mart's
pricing (their big stoves are far from cheap).

Something like a Jotul is of course excellent, but the price!

If you're near Ludlow, here's a chap who makes nice designs.
http://www.sense3d.com/stoves.html

To be quite honest they all look rather ugly to me, the sort of bodge
my rather pathetic welding would produce.

If you're in Bristol or South Wales area, I do custom ones too.

Sadly I'm right across the other side of the country in Suffolk.

--
Chris Green