Barry Lennox

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 14:03:30 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 19:50:37 -0400, the opaque "Dick Snyder"
clearly wrote:

I am looking for a good book to read on wood finishing. I am not trying to
make exotic things that require years of experience. Maybe an example will
help. I made a dresser this winter from oak plywood. I stained it with
Minwax Golden Oak and then put on three coats of low gloss poly to seal it.
I don't like how it looks. The stain brought out the grain too much. I
should have probably appplied some kind of a wood filler something first.

In any case, that is the kind of thing I would like to read about for now -
call it Wood Finishing 101. Do you have any recommendations for me?

Jeff Jewitt's "Hand Applied Finishes" is all the finishing book most
folks will ever need.

I agree, it's good, but I also get a lot of good info out of "Classic
Finishing Techniques" by Sam Allen. ISBN 0 8069 0513 1

Barry Lennox