:::Jerry::::

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article

ws.net,
:::Jerry:::: wrote:
Well, I bet a lot of dish-washers, dryers, washing machines

and
probably microwave ovens have there moulded on plugs removed

when
being connected to FCU's, even though you seem to think it's

pointless way of installing them....

So you can't use a length of copper to replace the fuse in an

FCU?

Yes, of course, but if the circuit is a radial that's also

protected
by a suitable MCB, in fact if it was a radial you would only need

CU and not a FCU.

So you'd have to rate all flexes at the MCB value? Most radials in

other
countries are 20 amps or so.

But we are talking about dedicated appliance circuits here, so where
would the problem be?

And yes, I do think it totally pointless. If you want a switch

elsewhere
from the socket - or a means of simply switching it off - use a

20
amp DP
type. Neater, and the plug fuse still 'protects' the wiring,

and
you can
simply unplug it when needed.

No you can't, unless you have a plug and socket taking up space

in a
cupboard, and what if there isn't a cupboard near - what do you

do
when you have three appliances in a row, only the two end units

are
next to any possible cupboard.

You prefer dangling flexes from an FCU? Whatever floats your boat.

snip

No, have you never used a FCU to supply a flex to CU wall plate?

For all your talk about having things just so, you seem to be
governed by cost rather than neat and accessible installations - as
you say, whatever floats your boat.