Owain

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
For a short circuit, to get 26A in a 0.75m cable, the short
circuit would have to be 149m from the plug. Again, that's
much longer than an appliance flex is allowed to be.

I meant to stay out of this thread, however, something similar has
happened to me while using a hedgetrimmer with a ~50m x 0.75mm sq
flex,

50m x 0.75mm˛ is 3.1 ohms which is 77A, so it can't have
been a short circuit as that would have blown the fuse within
10 seconds (possibly less -- I don't have the curves for BS1362
fuses). The sparking would also imply it wasn't a dead short,
as that would produce no continuous sparking.

These figures are for 240V, would be *worse* if 110V (building site
style) was used in the interests of 'safety'?

Owain