Fly-by-Night CC

In article .com,
"Big Rob" wrote:

Any ideas what's happening? Is this normal? The seperate containers
of varnish and tung oil that I mixed this from seem to be fine.
Neither one of them has turned to gel.

Yes it's totally normal. Enough oxygen or whatnot from the atmosphere
entered the container to overcome the high solvent vapors above the
liquid and set off curing. I think you're lucky you got 9 months out of
it - but then you must not have opened the container much plus it was
well sealed. I've had good success using the jello varnish as a rubbing
finish as long as it spreads out under your rag pressure. Apply and wipe
off just as you would if it were more liquid-y.

You can buy something called Bloxygen which you spray into the container
just before capping which is supposed to eliminate the frequency this
occurs. You can also buy a small tank of nitrogen to apply similarly. I
just mix small oil and varnish batches and accept the jello state when
it happens.

The real heartbreak is when you go to open your 3/4 full can of Rockhard
and it IS.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the
Corporate States of America and to the
Republicans for which it stands, one nation,
under debt, easily divisible, with liberty
and justice for oil."
- Wiley Miller, Non Sequitur, 1/24/05