PJ

Mark Williams wrote:
"ben" writes:

I'd quite like a water meter (or, more to the point, for my bill
to reflect actual usage), but live in a block of flats with shared
riser located inconveniently for meter reading. Can a meter be
fitted in such a setup without expensive re-engineering of the
supply? The water company web site is unhelpfully vague...

A Water meter can be fitted in any property it sits between the main
inlet in your flat and the feed pipe throughtout.

Just inform them you wish to have a meter installed and let them do
the rest.
They will send someone out and install it for free.

Thank you for that information. Far more useful than the water
company web site! It's the access for ongoing meter reading with the
current layout that puts me off. The riser is in a boxed-in corner of
the bathroom and the stop valve is accessed through an arm sized hole
in the side of the adjacent basin unit. I might investigate putting a
door/ access hatch in the boxed-in section to facilitate access to a
meter, but this is less desirable than a meter which can be read from
outside the building as is possible with the separate supply pipes
found in more recently built flats.

There are flats in Norwich which have a water meter in the bathroom but
a remote digital meter near the front door.