Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Nick Atty wrote:
I can only remember having to replace one or two fuses, and those were
13 amp types. Most appliances which are fused at less than 13 amp will
be things like AV equipment and have internal fuses which will blow
first anyway.

When I last shut this computer down, it did all the nice things, and
then finished with a dramatic "phut!". It turned out to be the (5A)
fuse in the plug. I replaced it, turned on at the mains and "phut!"
again.

With a new PSU fitted it's working fine again. I'm pretty sure it could
have taken a 13A out - it must have gone as close to short as makes no
difference - but I'm happier it was a smaller fuse. No internal fuse
involved.

Perhaps you need a better made computer - designed for a very long life.
This '97 one has fuses in the power supply, but has never blown one. ;-)

So a perfect case of the plug fuse doing just what it should have done,
and there being no internal one.

True, but plug fuses ain't the very best solution to protect electronics.
I'd use the correct one(s) for the job. The plug fuse is just to protect
the cable, etc.

--
*Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.