Dave Liquorice

Default Chasing computer wiring (Cat-5) into plaster over brick wall

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 13:41:49 GMT, Simon Avery wrote:

F'sure, but I expect it to still be using copper (fibre being a
maybe for commercial properties) so just swapping the connectors and
leaving the wiring in situ should be ok for most upgrades.

Assuming that the format of the copper is correct. Mind you you can't
go far wrong with the good old twisted pair, almost anything can be
made to travel over that, audio, video, data, POTS, ISDN etc etc

Hell, I'm still using Coax for my LAN here. It works!

At 10Mbps? 100Mbps is "standard" now, it does make a noticeable
difference. I expect Gigabit stuff will be "standard" inside 5 years.
How far Gigabit, that expects Cat6 cable, will go on a bit of old Cat5
(not Cat5e) might be interesting but I'd expect it to work over
"domestic" lengths of at most afew tens of metres.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail