bryanska

Banty, excellent reply. Your post is a good example of "all things
considered".

I guess I'm still resonating with FOM's early reply of "way to make all
sorts of judgements about me from my post". That really hit home, and I
thought it would keep folks from doing more of the same.

I admit the first "bite me" was unecessary, especially after he had
posted such a succinct and perfect reply with the "way to make..."
statement.

However, I still believe FOM merely wanted information and was prepared
to listen. But when it was packaged with so much hostility and
assumption, I couldn't blame him for his response. He replied with
interesting quotes from some law source and invited further comment
(without inserting any of his own). In effect, he offered a blank
canvas and was undeservedly characterized as an ass.

As more and more people have posted to this thread, I wonder if any are
interested in the original topic. I'm captivated by the group's
behavior in assuming so much about this person's attitude.

I don't think the group should keep responses to themselves (I was
trying to illustrate the double-edgedness of Lady's point). But
everyone seemed so shocked that FOM could be offended.

The situation is quite similiar to unfamiliar culture ettiquette. The
OP could have been asking why Japanese won't look him in the eye on the
Tokyo subway. Now imagine the OP is asking YOU how he should react -
should he be offended? Is there anything he should do?

Would you answer him by telling him he's being a bit anal?