Mogweed

"brugnospamsia" wrote in message
. uk...
Dear group,

I have lived in my "first time buyer" terraced house for 21 years and
can't see myself "upgrading" in the forseeable future.

Having had the roof rebuilt, the 140 year old upstairs ceilings were shot
and I found it made sense to completely replace them with new timbers and
foil-backed plasterboard.

I am now faced with two non-level, bouncy and bendy upstairs floors and
given that the downstairs ceilings also need replacing, I am wondering if
this is the best solution here too. The under-spec. joists run front to
back and are (loosely) cemented in to the outside and stairwell walls so
the replacement joists would have to be attached to wallplates and
hangers. I plan to use 22mm t&g chipboard in anticipation that most buyers
in my area tend to want carpet or laminate upstairs rather than sanded
boards (I plan to have carpet upstairs and sanded boards downstairs).

Having lived in the street so long, my observations make me doubt any of
the other houses have had so much trouble expended on them ...

Am I completely barking ?

thanking you in anticipation ....

As some of you will know if you've seen some of my other threads in this
group, I'm renovating my late mother's 134-year old mid-terraced house and I
heard a very interesting idea the other day although I don't intend to do
this myself.

The houses around here are two-storey with ceilings 11ft plus high and I now
know of three seperate houses (one of which suffered from the same
non-level, bouncy and bendy upstairs floors as yours) where they have
completely taken out the downstairs ceilings/upstairs floors (so that you
can stand at ground level and look directly up to the upstairs ceilings [or
roof, in one case]) and put in new ceilings/floors at lower heights, thereby
creating a three-storey house from a two-storey one.

Apparently the cost in all three cases has been around the £20 or £21k mark
from start to finish and none of the householders did it with a view to
selling it afterwards, just a way of improving their homes and getting more
space to live in. The only reason I know is that the lads who are doing my
double glazing for me worked on all three of those projects as well.

So, are you barking? Of course not. Everybody has their own ideas of what
they want.

Mogweed.