Andrew Gabriel

Default Set fence posts in concrete or use Metposts?

In article ,
(DIY Novice) writes:
Any thoughts on the best way of putting up 4" * 4" fence posts (in a
sheltered city garden).
1. Treat posts with creocote and bed in concrete, (approx 18" in
concrete?).
2. Use metposts, those square metal containers with a spike at one
end.
3. Other?

I used metposts (actually the make was Fensock back then) and someone
else used concreted-in posts we both put in ~15 years ago. The metposts
are just as solid as they ever were, the concreted-in posts started
snapping off at around 10-12 years old. I suspect one important thing
is that I hammered in the metposts only as far as I could so the base
of the post was just clear of the damp ground. Also, I used the type
of metpost with a clamp done up by a nut and bolt, not the type which
just grip the post by having some metal fins in the post socket.

Also, is it better to use fence posts with slots in the side which the
fence panel slots into
OR
just ordinary posts and keep the fence panel in place with galvanised
nails?

I was building an aris rail fence. Pre-constructed panels won't last
that long, so pick some way which makes them easy to replace. Another
issue is a failing panel can become air-borne in a gale which is when
they normally fail, and do lots of damage if it lands on your car or
a neighbours. I can't offer suggestions one way or the other, but you
might want to bare these points in mind.

--
Andrew Gabriel