Dan C

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 16:50:09 -0700, wrote:

Do you even understand what these
four sensors actually *DO* ?

My understanding is that they prevent the space shuttle from running
out of fuel by shutting down the engines before that happens. If the
space shuttle runs out of fuel it could blow up.

Almost. Close enough for the sake of this conversation. But.... What do
you think happens if the engines shut down before the shuttle has reached
a high enough altitude to break free of gravity and remain in space? The
problem which occurred last week was that the sensor indicated the tank
was empty (when it really wasn't), and therefore would have shut down the
engines. Guess what happens next...

Are you speaking from the perspective of a highly educated aerospace
engineer, or simply blathering like an idiot with a 3rd grade
education? How could you possibly know how safe the shuttle is? You
know nothing.

How do I know how safe the shuttle is? Simple, the shuttle has a long
history. Look at the percent of missions which result in disaster and
the shuttle is roughly that safe.

That is a VERY over-simplified view of things. The reality of it is that
you DO NOT launch if there are things which you KNOW are problems. That
way if things go wrong it is only because of things you did not know about
beforehand. The real name of this process is: "Operational Risk
Management" (ORM). It's how things are done.

You think so, huh? Who is challenging America in the "space race"?
Russia? France? LOL! Who?

China. China is challenging us. They are not challenging us in where
they are at. They are challenging us in their rate of advance. There
is currently no reason to believe they won't eventually surpass us (even
though they are Communist and we are a Democracy).

Wrong again. China is not currently anywhere near our level. The real
point here is that there is not really a "space race" any more. What are
they going to do, go to the moon?

Linux Registered User #327951

PS: You aren't one of those Linux users who thinks all non Linux users
are an "ignorant doofus" are you?

Absolutely not.

Linux Registered User #327951