David H

Default Flues cross my boundary - whar are the regs

"G&M" wrote in message ...
"Kev Parkin" wrote in message
m...
(Apologies if this double posts - tried once and google crashed)!

I have just got back from a long weekend away to find that my
neighbour has installed a cooker hood flue (at eye level) and a boiler
flue (at first floor level) through the external wall of his house
that bounds my property.

Phone and ask your local building control officer why he approved it. He
will of course be right round as I expect he hasn't heard about it.

Hi Kev,

Fan flued boilers should have there flues positioned so they are more
than 600mm from the boundry.

If it is less than 2metres from the ground it should have a guard
round it.

The flue should be more than 600mm from a facing wall.

To quote from a glowworm condensing boiler instruction book "The flue
will produce a plume of condensation in cold weather, so specia care
must be takenin siting the flue terminal so as not to caue a
nuisanceto adjacent property"

As you say there is a 15mm pipe stickng out of te wall I would guss it
is a combi boiler and this is the saftey pipe from the pressure valve.
If it is then it is incorrectly fitted. if the valve were to blow,
steam and boiling water at 3bar (thats 43.5psi. in old money, twice
the pressure of most car tires) would be comming out of this pipe.
Just imamage walking past when the valve blows...... scarred for
life......

If this pipe was a condensate drian from the boiler I would expect it
to be 22mm pipe and this should go into a soil pipe or drain gulley.

Does your garden go up to your neighbours wall, if it does, from what
you say,
it would appear that it is an illegal installation.

If there is a 600mm gap on there side of the fence,between the fence
and the wall then it might just be legal.

David.