:::Jerry::::

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article

ws.net,
:::Jerry:::: wrote:
Strikes me you're referring to some of the dodgy body shops

you've
worked in where they've used 13 amp sockets for compressors and

welders
etc too powerful for them. And ring main circuits were never

intended
for fixed heavy loads such as these, but for general domestic

use.

No, just ignorant people living in 'house-holds' were they are

all
technically challenged - why do you think it was made mandatory

(in
the UK) for new appliances etc. to come ready fitted with a

BS1363
plug - it wasn't people objecting to having to buy a plug on top

of
the appliance purchase price.

It certainly was. And since the 13 amp plug wasn't universal - and

still
isn't - makers would save any pennies they could. And then there's

the
fact that not everyone can wire up a plug correctly - can you just
imagined Drivel trying with nothing but his hacksaw?

Yes I can, and the BS1363 plug allows such people to use a hacksaw
(or knife) blade to access the fuse...

Anyway, hasn't there some dodgy wiring / connectors used in TV
industry over the years?....

Yes. Plenty. But that doesn't alter the fact that the 13 amp system

is
ideal for *domestic* use.

Any system is 'ideal', it's whether it's the best, safest or the most
appropriate. At the time that the 30A ring and BS1363 type plugs and
sockets were established as the 'default' for final power circuits it
was the best, safest, and most appropriate, what I'm questioning is
whether it still is.