Banty

In article , David W. says...

"AllEmailDeletedImmediately" wrote in
:

"Malcom" wrote in message

"FOM" wrote in message
I had a fence installed last year. It is three sides that enclose

my
backyard. Yesterday, my next door neighbor installed a fence and

used
my existing fence to complete enclosing his backyard. He did not

ask me
if he could do this, he just had the installers attach his fence

ours. Now, we are paying for one third of this guy's fence. Is

this
legal? What should I do?

Hey Dick,

Did it occur to you, the neighbor was using that one side of your

fence,
before they installed the other three sides?

i think he later indicated that there was no house behind him when he
put up the fence.

He indicated that, but it's completly irrelevant.

If I was planning to fence my yard, and my neighbor approached me and
said he was too, and would I split the cost of the common fence, I'd be
happy to do that. If my neighbor had an existing fence, and I intalled
one on the other three sides of my yard, and he then asked me to
reimburse him for 1/2 the common side, I'd tell him to pound sand. Why?
He wanted a fence and he put one up, end of story.

Yep.

Else maybe I should charge my neighbors for having a better view of my
incredible-this-year morningglories.

But it's still true - the neighbor gets benefit from any pre-existing fence.
So, for their just being in their own house next to a fenced yard, they owe that
neighbor? Huh?

I don't know where the OP's website came from, but I never heard of having to
pay for 1/2 of a shared prexisting fence either. Maybe there's some more legal
sources he can share with us...

Banty