Harold and Susan Vordos

"Joe" wrote in message

Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

Here in Onalaska, there are NO grand homes. Even the founder of the

town,
Carlisle, lived in a modest home. He raped the land and left. He was

timber barren that founded three towns, all named Onalaska. How strange

is
that?

Well, at least he didn't leave any offspring to carry on his nefarious

deeds.

Joe

Strangely, at least one of his offspring stayed in the state. I don't
recall the details now, but she showed up at a recent doing of sorts, I
think when they honored Carlisle. In truth, what he did was in keeping
with the times. It was long before loggers had the idea of replanting an
area, and considering the huge amount of old growth timber, I can imagine
that they all thought it would never be used up. They were so selective
when logging that a lot was left behind, even after being cut down, by hand
no less. On the west end of our property there's a log on the ground that
was left behind. Fully 3 feet in diameter, no shorter than 30 feet. It's
one of a few, some of which now have trees growing from them. Hemlocks are
inclined to grow from stumps or sawdust piles, or fallen trees.

For you city boys, trees, here, grow upwards of 200' tall, although they are
now cut much sooner. A hundred year old tree is often 4' in diameter, and
it's just getting started. There are trees here that are over 8' in
diameter, although mostly in reserves, or protected areas. Anything that
was available to loggers was cut down long ago.

Harold