Your wire wheel must have thicker wire than mine. I don't notice any
surface metal removed although there must be some. My wheel is more
like using a fine scotchbrite wheel.

Dan

SteveB wrote:

In my estimation, that would remove about ten times as much surface metal as
would be necessary. I would try the electrolysis, and only remove a little
in the rusty areas. And, I don't know about you, but I have trouble fitting
a 6 or 8 inch brush into tight places.

I think a wheel on a bench grinder is serious overkill. Unless you don't
care how they come out looking, that is.

YMMV

Steve

Rex B

- -
Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:
"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
snip---

I like a nice single-malt Scotch, but right now I"m between Scotches and
am working through a bottle of Knob Creek bourbon for the next few
months.

Can't say as though I'm familiar with Knob Creek, but I can't help but
believe I'd be able to choke it down!

Scotch removes rust?
Harold and Susan Vordos

- -
"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
snip---

I like a nice single-malt Scotch, but right now I"m between Scotches and
am working through a bottle of Knob Creek bourbon for the next few
months.

Can't say as though I'm familiar with Knob Creek, but I can't help but
believe I'd be able to choke it down!

Scotch removes rust?

Not exactly. It just makes the job of doing so such that you don't care.
:-)

Harold

Steve W.

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
snip---

I like a nice single-malt Scotch, but right now I"m between Scotches

and
am working through a bottle of Knob Creek bourbon for the next few
months.

Can't say as though I'm familiar with Knob Creek, but I can't help but
believe I'd be able to choke it down!

Harold

Knob Creek = Well aged Jim Beam in a different bottle with a wax seal.
100 proof instead of 80 as well.

Dave Hinz

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 17:42:37 -0700, Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message

I like a nice single-malt Scotch, but right now I"m between Scotches and
am working through a bottle of Knob Creek bourbon for the next few
months.

Can't say as though I'm familiar with Knob Creek, but I can't help but
believe I'd be able to choke it down!

If you get up to south-central Wisconsin, come on over - we'll make
chips in the shop, and then break out the bourbon - in that order...

Dave Hinz

- -
"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
snip---

I like a nice single-malt Scotch, but right now I"m between Scotches and
am working through a bottle of Knob Creek bourbon for the next few
months.

Can't say as though I'm familiar with Knob Creek, but I can't help but
believe I'd be able to choke it down!

Scotch removes rust?

Only the "bright" type of Scotch.
Dave Hinz

On 22 Jul 2005 20:02:15 -0700, jim rozen wrote:
In article , Dave Hinz says...

Ah, so it was a _sexually transmitted_ parasitic infestation, to boot.

LOL. Anyone who's ever spent time with a lady in the 9th month
of pregnancy will realize they'd rather be anywhere else, doing
anything else, suffering from anything else.

BTDT. Twice. You're completely right, Jim. (Note to history: on July
25th, Dave Hinz told Jim Rozen that he's completely right about
something)

Harold and Susan Vordos

wrote:

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message

I like a nice single-malt Scotch, but right now I"m between Scotches

and
am working through a bottle of Knob Creek bourbon for the next few
months.

Can't say as though I'm familiar with Knob Creek, but I can't help but
believe I'd be able to choke it down!

If you get up to south-central Wisconsin, come on over - we'll make
chips in the shop, and then break out the bourbon - in that order...

That's an offer I can't refuse, assuming I get that far away from home.
I'm in Western Washington State, building a house. The way it looks right
now, that's going to be happening for the rest of my life! :-)

Harold

jim rozen

In article , Harold and Susan Vordos says...
I'm in Western Washington State, building a house. The way it looks right
now, that's going to be happening for the rest of my life! :-)

Houses finish to an assymptote. They don't just go and finish at
a point. It goes on forever. And ever. And ever....

:^)

The only way you know you are done is when you're willing to
put up with the unfinished bits. This is the same thing that
happens when you buy an older house. You move in and get all
excited fixing it up. This goes on for about five years and
then you say, heck, it's only a place to live. So what if
the kitchen cabinets are held to teh wall with duct tape!

Jim

please reply to:
Harold and Susan Vordos

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article , Harold and Susan Vordos

says...
I'm in Western Washington State, building a house. The way it looks right
now, that's going to be happening for the rest of my life! :-)

Houses finish to an assymptote. They don't just go and finish at
a point. It goes on forever. And ever. And ever....

:^)

The only way you know you are done is when you're willing to
put up with the unfinished bits. This is the same thing that
happens when you buy an older house. You move in and get all
excited fixing it up. This goes on for about five years and
then you say, heck, it's only a place to live. So what if
the kitchen cabinets are held to teh wall with duct tape!

Jim

Chuckle!

I was thinking windows and doors would be nice, at least when it's raining.

Harold

jim rozen

In article , Harold and Susan Vordos says...

Chuckle!

I was thinking windows and doors would be nice, at least when it's raining.

Ah. Rain stays *outside*. What a concept. I have a few issues
with my present house along those lines too.

Jim

please reply to:
Dave Hinz

On 27 Jul 2005 12:36:48 -0700, jim rozen wrote:
In article , Harold and Susan Vordos says...

Chuckle!

I was thinking windows and doors would be nice, at least when it's raining.

Ah. Rain stays *outside*. What a concept. I have a few issues
with my present house along those lines too.

Sunroofs. Any time you put a hole in a roof, it's gonna leak.

Harold and Susan Vordos

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
On 27 Jul 2005 12:36:48 -0700, jim rozen wrote:
In article , Harold and Susan Vordos

says...

Chuckle!

I was thinking windows and doors would be nice, at least when it's

raining.

Ah. Rain stays *outside*. What a concept. I have a few issues
with my present house along those lines too.

Sunroofs. Any time you put a hole in a roof, it's gonna leak.

That's how I see it, too, so no sun roofs for me.

Harold

Harold and Susan Vordos

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article , Harold and Susan Vordos says...

Chuckle!

I was thinking windows and doors would be nice, at least when it's

raining.

Ah. Rain stays *outside*. What a concept. I have a few issues
with my present house along those lines too.

Jim

Roof? It's not all that hard to re-shingle if so. We're installing some
50 year composition on the new house. Looks great when you're finished. I
nail 'em, Susan matches 'em so I can. We're spending way too much time on
the roof, but the end result is nice.

Harold

jim rozen

In article , Harold and Susan Vordos says...

Roof? It's not all that hard to re-shingle if so.

The bit in question is a tiny shed dormer roof where the box staircase
goes up to my attic. Years ago it leaked badly and I had it re-done
with sheet copper. There's an open seam or nail hole someplace
in the thing, and when it rains just right, with the wind just right,
the thing drips.

Most times it's infuriatingly dry, even during torrential downpours.

Problem is the things 3 stories up in the air, and I'm a total chicken
about ladders. I'd rather have the thing leak forever than fall those
three stories down to the concrete apron and chainlink fence at the
bottom. Right now I have enough responsibilities that I can't
take time out to be injured/dead.

So most times there's a trash can there where the leak would be,
just sitting there. The quickest way to obtain the correct meterological
conditions for it to drip, are have somebody swipe the trashcan!

Really I want to find somebody who can do standing seam copper. Maybe
I'll buy a safety harness and a sheet metal brake.

Jim

please reply to:

Harold and Susan Vordos

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article , Harold and Susan Vordos says...

Roof? It's not all that hard to re-shingle if so.

The bit in question is a tiny shed dormer roof where the box staircase
goes up to my attic. Years ago it leaked badly and I had it re-done
with sheet copper. There's an open seam or nail hole someplace
in the thing, and when it rains just right, with the wind just right,
the thing drips.

Wow! That's a far cry from what I'm doing. New houses just don't have the
charm of the old stuff. Sounds like a nice place, Jim.

Most times it's infuriatingly dry, even during torrential downpours.

Problem is the things 3 stories up in the air, and I'm a total chicken
about ladders. I'd rather have the thing leak forever than fall those
three stories down to the concrete apron and chainlink fence at the
bottom. Right now I have enough responsibilities that I can't
take time out to be injured/dead.

Understood, especially after my fall while building the house. Not sure
what happened because I sustained a concussion, but my half day of fun cost
over $5,000. No broken bones, but a badly bruised chest where one of the
building blocks (10" thick, 15" tall, 7-1/2 feet long, about 100 pounds)
landed on my chest. It appears I pulled it off the wall as I fell.

Like you, I don't like height. I've added permanent anchor points to the
roof at proper intervals, and we own two sets of safety harnesses so we can
work safely. They're really helped me work comfortably (mentally), although
they're a PITA to wear.

So most times there's a trash can there where the leak would be,
just sitting there. The quickest way to obtain the correct meterological
conditions for it to drip, are have somebody swipe the trashcan!

Really I want to find somebody who can do standing seam copper. Maybe
I'll buy a safety harness and a sheet metal brake.

If you want it done properly, that's likely what you'll end up doing.
You've already had the "experts" working on it.

Good luck, Jim.

Harold

jim rozen

In article , Harold and Susan Vordos says...

Understood, especially after my fall while building the house. Not sure
what happened because I sustained a concussion, but my half day of fun cost
over $5,000. No broken bones, but a badly bruised chest where one of the
building blocks (10" thick, 15" tall, 7-1/2 feet long, about 100 pounds)
landed on my chest. It appears I pulled it off the wall as I fell.

Ouch. I don't recall hearing about the block before. You were
really lucky.

Yep, I figure that I could *definitely* have somebody do that
tiny bit of roof for less than $5K!

The other issue is, the rest of the roof is slate, so I don't
want some hack up there busting the rest of it up just to fix
something that's not really critical at the moment.

Jim

please reply to:
Harold and Susan Vordos

"jim rozen" wrote in message
In article , Harold and Susan Vordos says...

Understood, especially after my fall while building the house. Not sure
what happened because I sustained a concussion, but my half day of fun

cost
over $5,000. No broken bones, but a badly bruised chest where one of the
building blocks (10" thick, 15" tall, 7-1/2 feet long, about 100 pounds)
landed on my chest. It appears I pulled it off the wall as I fell.

Ouch. I don't recall hearing about the block before. You were
really lucky.

Yep, I figure that I could *definitely* have somebody do that
tiny bit of roof for less than $5K!

The other issue is, the rest of the roof is slate, so I don't
want some hack up there busting the rest of it up just to fix
something that's not really critical at the moment.

Jim

It sounds like a very nice place. Any chance you could send me a picture of
your place, Jim? If you're comfortable doing so, please send it via email.

Here in Onalaska, there are NO grand homes. Even the founder of the town,
Carlisle, lived in a modest home. He raped the land and left. He was a
timber barren that founded three towns, all named Onalaska. How strange is
that?

Harold

Joe

Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

Here in Onalaska, there are NO grand homes. Even the founder of the town,
Carlisle, lived in a modest home. He raped the land and left. He was a
timber barren that founded three towns, all named Onalaska. How strange is
that?

Well, at least he didn't leave any offspring to carry on his nefarious deeds.

Joe

jim rozen

In article , Harold and Susan Vordos says...

It sounds like a very nice place. Any chance you could send me a picture of
your place, Jim? If you're comfortable doing so, please send it via email.

LOL. It's awful harold. It has nasty faded pink siding and the landscaping
could best be described (charitably) as a varied mix of industrial and
weedy.

These were city houses put up at the turn of the century for working folks
and while they had some nice touches (we found hand-inlaid parque wood flooring
under the carpets in two of the downstairs rooms, and there are two nice
stained glass windows downstairs) the rooms are small, closets almost
non-existent, and the former owners, while well-intentioned, were strapped
for cash and moderatly incompetent in all their efforts at renovation and
maintenence.

The roof is original, with the odd construction of horizontal lath
strips over the rafters, which were then covered with cedar shakes, and
top of that went slates. This was a common local construction I think
and the cedar shakes take the place of modern plywood underlayment. Labor
costs were insignificant at the time. :^)

It's balloon frame construction because at the time one could find trees
tall enough to generate two-story tall 2X4s. There are no fire
stops, no insulation in the walls, and the thing will burn to the
ground in an instant if it catches on fire.

It needs an entire new kitchen, it still has the claw-foot bathtub in the
single bathroom upstairs, and I suspect it was one of the very first houses
in the city to have indoor plumbing - it was originally owned by a plumber
who did the work himself I think. With the idea that he'd go back and to
it right later on. Which never came to pass. The house directly to the
south had a barn and outhouse behind it, and still has a hand-pumped
dug well in the backyard. This was probably the first house in the
neighborhood.

We put a new porch on the front a few years ago because the old one was
in rough shape, so that kind of dressed up the property a bit. I'll
see if I can find a jpg of the place to put in the dropbox.

Jim

please reply to:

Harold and Susan Vordos

"Joe" wrote in message

Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

Here in Onalaska, there are NO grand homes. Even the founder of the

town,
Carlisle, lived in a modest home. He raped the land and left. He was

timber barren that founded three towns, all named Onalaska. How strange

is
that?

Well, at least he didn't leave any offspring to carry on his nefarious

deeds.

Joe

Strangely, at least one of his offspring stayed in the state. I don't
recall the details now, but she showed up at a recent doing of sorts, I
think when they honored Carlisle. In truth, what he did was in keeping
with the times. It was long before loggers had the idea of replanting an
area, and considering the huge amount of old growth timber, I can imagine
that they all thought it would never be used up. They were so selective
when logging that a lot was left behind, even after being cut down, by hand
no less. On the west end of our property there's a log on the ground that
was left behind. Fully 3 feet in diameter, no shorter than 30 feet. It's
one of a few, some of which now have trees growing from them. Hemlocks are
inclined to grow from stumps or sawdust piles, or fallen trees.

For you city boys, trees, here, grow upwards of 200' tall, although they are
now cut much sooner. A hundred year old tree is often 4' in diameter, and
it's just getting started. There are trees here that are over 8' in
diameter, although mostly in reserves, or protected areas. Anything that
was available to loggers was cut down long ago.

Harold

Harold and Susan Vordos

"jim rozen" wrote in message
[...]

Yep, please do post the picture. Very interesting! It's hard for me to
imagine what appears to be a common home that has a slate roof. It would
likely be impossible to have such an amenity today unless one was quite
wealthy. When you talked about slate *and* copper, visions of a grand home
came to mind.

Is property expensive where you live? Here, it's been almost free, but
that's changing rapidly now. In '90, when we purchased our 5-1/2 acres, we
paid only $17,500, and that included an approved, new septic system. The
previous owner had cleared a small portion of the fully wooded parcel, where
he'd installed the septic system in anticipation of his retirement. He
died before he could build, and his daughter, living in California, had no
interest in the property. We were shocked to discover, after the fact,
that we paid less for the property than the standing timber was worth.
For once in our lives, we hit a winner.

Harold

rudolph berthold

eagle 1 mag cleaner.. i use it as an all purpose rust remover.. just dont
get it near rubber.. wash it off quick after too.. stuff is toxic as hell
"Will" wrote in message
.. .
I have a box of old tools... wrenches, screw drivers, sockets, socket
wrench handels, etc.

It is all quite rusty.

What is the best way to clean these tools up and get all the rust off?

thanks for any help - Will