David W.E. Roberts

Default Chasing computer wiring (Cat-5) into plaster over brick wall

"Zymurgy" wrote in message
om...
snip
I may just go wireless !!

Cheers

Paul.

Give this serious consideration.
Unless you have a really bandwidth-intensive application between two PCs
which are in different rooms you don't need cable.
If you have this type of application try to site the two PCs close together
and use cable :-)
Wiring the house can be a bugger and you still have to have a socket at the
other end then run a cable to your PC - and as soon as you re-arrange the
furniture the socket is in the wrong place.
With power you usually have several outlets in each room - are you going to
do the same with CAT5?

Wireless is a good answer as long as you don't have a wierd house
construction (loads of metal in walls etc.) and you aren't in a very high
risk area for network hacking (wherever that is).
WEP is flawed but takes a while to crack.
Changing your keys regularly (only takes a few minutes) helps.
MAC address filtering also helps.
The range is limited - street outside your house and the house next door if
you are lucky - more people complain about lack of range than of too much
range.

The setup is simple and you can put your PCs where you want (within reason)
and move them around to suit.

My setup is totally wireless at the moment until I get the office back
together and the wired LAN back in place.
It doesn't seem to cause any problems.
More important is to use a router between yourself and the Internet :-)

Cheers
Dave R