Larry Jaques

On 28 Jul 2005 12:31:13 -0700, the opaque "gregj"
clearly wrote:

Thinking of buying a new set of chisels. Any words of wisdom about
brands, ebay etc.? These are for general woodworking, not carving or
building a barn.

I bought the 5-pc Marples Blue Chips and like them a lot. They're not
too brittle, take a good edge, and sharpen easily enough on my diamond
plate. For carving, my favorite brand is Pfeil (aka Swiss Made.)

But speaking of ebay, I am totally converted to buying older Stanley
planes on ebay. The ones I have so far have needed less work to get
into good shape than the junk I have purchase retail, not being able to
spend $300 on a top of the line new plane.

Yeah, half the time they've already been tuned for you and a bit of
cleanup and sharpening is all that's needed. GREAT value!

--

"See, in my line of work you got to keep repeating things
over and over and over again for the truth to sink in,

G.W. Bush
Greece, N.Y., May 24, 2005