Martin Angove

In message ,
John Rumm wrote:

Martin Angove wrote:

What exam conditions are these taken in (i.e. open book / closed book /
with data sheet handouts etc?)

It's explained on the index page.

Sorry, should have read that bit.. ;-)

We all do it :-)

Basically, open book (BS7671 & OSG)
calculator allowed (though you shouldn't need one). Note that my exam

I think I have dropped about three or questions so far (including the
Earth Fault Loop impedance one that made no sense) without using any
books... Admitedly a couple of answers were educated guesses though
(never had much cause to look up details for saunas!). So with the OSG
to hand that ought to make it pretty stright forward then I would guess....

It's better that way, so long as you are absolutely sure of yourself. At
two hours and 60 questions it averages (obviously) two minutes per
question. Any that you can do more quickly will gain you time for the
tricky ones.

How many other papers are there? And what form do they take?

The paper I copied those questions from was handed out by our lecturer
as practice. It wasn't in exactly the same format as the "real thing" so
had obviously been laid-out by him (or his secretary), but some of the

Yup, sorry me not being clear enough again... I was talking about the
"real thing" rather than the example.

The example you posted was a multiple choice paper, I was wondering if
the whole exam is like that, or whether there were more detailed writen
papers that followed (i.e. like exams when I were a lad).

No, for the 2381 that's it. One paper, multiple choice, 60 questions.
Unless things have changed since I did it. The 2391 is a lot more
effort, and includes a practical test.

questions were so close to the ones on the actual paper that he must
have copied them down. In the exam, answers were marked on a separate
machine-readable sheet and the question papers were collected in at the

Do you still have to fill em out in an a HB Pencil? ;-)

I think they're OCR'ed, but yes, the advice was pencil IIRC. If they
really do OCR them then anything black should do, though pencil at least
gives you the opportunity to change your mind :-)

I guess that they re-use questions and given that there are probably
at least two opportunities per year to take this exam, and 60 questions
needed per paper, the last thing they want is six or seven "real" papers
"in the wild" as they'll likely as not contain all possible questions!

I think that is true of most exam papers. IIRC when I took my A levels
for things like computer science and physics there was perhaps a cache
of 60 questions for the papers of which 18 or so would make it into each
paper. So if you had a set of past papers you would have examples of
most types of questions even if the fine datail and the numbers would
change. IIRC they did a bigger change of questions each five years or so
to keep people on their toes. Probably not as easy when you want to test
knowedge and understanding of a particular set of documents though.

Reminds me of Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency - Svlad Czelli (or
whoever he was before he became Dirk Gently) went through all the past
papers in his University's library and came up with a set of "most
likely" questions and was thrown out for cheating because he got them
exactly right :-)

Back to the thing I put up (in June 2003 from the filedates) it turns
out that I had actually prepared all the answers but hadn't got around
to uploading them! I have now done so. Have fun.

Hwyl!

M.

--
Martin Angove: http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/
.... Journeys begin with a single step, and a decision to take it.