PC Paul

PC Paul wrote:

USB powered devices help, but I wish a standard would emerge where a
single large low voltage (+12V,+5V?) supply could feed a number of
devices.

Do you mean on computers only, or round the house? Compauters do have
a standard, but its not used. But thats easy to change. The 4 pin
connector used on HDD, CDROM etc. Just remove a plate on the back and
poke one or 2 out to the world, and you can use it to run your
scanner, speakers, sometimes printer, etc. It gives 5 and 12v, and if
you need 9v just use 12 via 3 dropping diodes. 5v is not 6v but seems
to run 6v goods ok in practice.

It seems silly to sell a computer system containnig 2 or 3 wall warts
when the maker could just use 2 or 3 more of these already standard
and already in use connectors.

Molex connectors.. I know I could do that (indeed I do already to get a high
current +5V and +12V bench supply from an old ATX PSU by shorting the right
pins..).

It's more having a standard I was wishing for.. and all sorts of gadgets
using it. rather than having to make up different connectors, different
voltages etc all the time.