Duane Bozarth

Bob Martin wrote:

in 1222883 20050727 215409 Duane Bozarth wrote:

I recall last time I was in Rochester, Kent, England that the "new"
touristy attraction was Dickens and the "new" castle was roughly 1100 as
opposed to the "old" castle ruins from which it was built. And, there
are places where the first Roman wall are still visible dating from
roughly AD70 or so, if I recall correctly.

A few miles from me is Portchester Castle. The outer walls are early Roman
and intact.

http://www.castleuk.net/castle_lists...stercastle.htm
http://members.tripod.com/~midgley/porchester.html

But stuff in Rome, like the Colisseum, puts it to shame!
Then there are the pyramids ...

Oh, certainly...only comment was that for a Yank, particularly one from
the middle which was the latest portion of the US to be settled so that
anything over about 150 is "ancient", the actual "hands-on" of even the
14-15th century stuff is pretty mind-blowing. I got a real kick from
the wooden beams, columns, and joinery in the old houses and
office/factory buildings such as the one Dave's described...

(Dickens was born in Portsmouth, a stone's throw from Portchester.)

And, similarly to Lincoln/Washington in the US, appears to have lived
and/or slept/written/lunched all over the whole of SE England...