Gunner

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 18:29:47 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

I think Bruce's analysis of your situation is pretty "right." Let's assume
your seller-friend was fooled by the Honda's looks. This means he believes
that he has paid off a substantial part of what he owed you. You must make
it clear to him that when he got fooled, he didn't obligate you to accept
the loss.

Already done so. Evidently he got it from a second party as payment
for a debt...chuckle. Ah what a tangled web we bottom feeder low
margin wheeler and dealers sometimes weave. 3 and 4 cornered swaps..

Since he will probably be slow to come up with any more payments, I would
offer to keep the gen-set on trial, and make performance and durability a
negotiable part of the price. And then I would use the hell out of it, so
if it is going to break, it happens soon, while he still has a feeling of
obligation.

I fully intend to do so. Im also attempting to swap for a mil-surp
genset of known vintage and capabilities from a poster here who has
acess to a number of them. So I may simply wrap this one up, and sell
it for what I can get out of it. And I would be honest about the
situation.

What does it mean--he sold them at a loss? You didn't charge him for the
stuff, so what is the loss? Had you agreed on the selling prices? Did he
lower the prices without consulting you? He sounds like a Bozo to me.

I gave them to him, told him to sell them for no less than $xxx
dollars and we would split the money. The $xxx dollars being what I
knew I could sell the items for on my own, but as he had someone
waiting in the wings wanting them, and it may take me months to find a
buyer (Thread rolling machine with bowl feeder, and small punch
press), I let him have them to sell to his people. I didnt want to
turn and burn them and take any offer no matter what. Which is pretty
much what he did as he needed the money himself then and there. So
not only did he sell for far below true market value, but he spent my
half as well. Which didnt bother me terribly as his straits are often
times as desperate as mine are..though I could damned well have used
the cash, or a piece of hardware I could convert to cash, or swap for
something of equal value that I or another needs. I understood his
situation, I figured he would rectify it when he could. He has before.
Shrug..there is a certain amount of trust and understanding necessary
when doing this sort of thing. Everything done with a verbal
handshake.

Id much rather have people owe me, than owe others. I have a debt to
a poster here on this newsgroup that Ive not been able to pay back.
And its been a number of years, though Im working on it at the moment
by trying to sell a piece of equipment that a fellow wants and the
cash will go straight to the fellow I owe. Others here owe me. A
couple guys are making time payments on stuff I paid for and then
fronted them. No set payment schedule. Pay what they can, when they
can.

Hell, I give away more Stuff than I sell, I think, as just about
anyone who has ever visited my place can attest. LOL.

It all comes out in the wash.

Gunner

Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends
of every country save their own. Benjamin Disraeli